2.3.08

I've been tagged!

I have been tagged with a Meme by DR, which goes as follows:

1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people.

(i had never heard of a "blogger's meme" before, so had to look it up, in wikipedia, of course)
so, a "unit" of "cultural information" to send on. ok.

the book I'm currently reading is by a Scotsman, Rory Stewart, who walked across Afghanistan shortly after the fall of the Taliban called The Places in Between. he had previously walked across Iran, Pakistan, India and Nepal... on foot, 20 - 25 miles a day. when he heard the Taliban had fallen and left the country, he decided to walk from Herat to Kabul. in this passage, he is walking with a local man and meets a mullah who begins to question him about religion:

"What religion is he?"
"He's a Jahdui - a Jew", said Dr. Habibullah. "No, no, I'm an Esawi - a Christian."
Dr. Habibulla turned around, looked at me, and then said to his friend, "I can't work this out - is there a difference?"

No comments: